Sunday, October 11, 2009

Day 1 - An adventure with Oma

Goeiemorgen!

We arrived safely at Schiphol a bit late - our flight was delayed coming out of London, and while we made up a significant amount of time in the air, there was thick fog over Amsterdam. We landed close to 9:30, and Birgit, Leon, and Koen were there to greet us. Oh my word, those boys have shot up into the sky! Frank was waiting at the house and of course we all sat
down for a cup of coffee and a long chat. :)

Then I helped Oma unpack her things while the younger boys got ready for scouts. A quick lunch and they were on their way, then the four of us headed over to Leiden to the market to get vegetables and fish for dinner - Oma and Birgit in the car and Frank and I op de fiets! One problem that became very clear very soon is that my legs are strikingly shorter than those of my Dutch family! I took Birgit's bike, but could really only reach the pedals with my tip-toes. Once I was on, I managed all right, but let's just say getting on and off were a completely different problem in and of themselves. By the end of the day (45 ride each way), I had mastered my own technique leaving Frank close to speechless with laughter. Well, I don't mind being the butt of a joke or two - especially around here, between Dutch honesty and my family's humor, I guess I should get used to it. :)

Last night Birgit made a lovely dinner and then we basically were all in bed by 10. I'm told by Birgit this morning that Oma practically fell asleep sitting up on her bed, but that she and Frank kindly tucked her in. I'm glad because I was fast asleep upstairs!

Today we are headed into Amsterdam to meet up with Merlijn. The boys and I will take the train and have some time in the city by ourselves while Oma and Birgit have coffee at Merlijn's apartment. Then we will meet the three ladies in the city for a bit of a tour around before heading back to Merlijn's for dinner.

The rest of the time will have to sort itself out. I know Delft is definitely on the schedule before I head over to Nijmegen on Wednesday. One awesome piece of good news - our host in Prague confirmed that we could stay with her in her flat, so everything should be set in that regard. Awesome!

The love of Oma, Birgit, the boys, and myself to all of you!

Have a Happy Sunday!

Much love,
elle

No comments: