Thursday, June 14, 2007

freetown, hiv, surgery, and the bible...

so this was supposed to have gone up yesterday, but for some reason it didn't come through:

Today, as is quickly becoming the norm, was a full day.

This morning was Gladi-gladi. It was so special to see all the women dressed to the nines, so happy to be going home. The other women were so excited for them, and you could see in their faces the hope for their gladi-gladi when they (oh, we can only pray!) go home dry as well. The bonds forged between the girls – most of whom thought before coming that they were the only ones with this problem – will last a lifetime. It’s kind of weird to think that you’ll be a part (in the background mostly) of such a life-changing event. I think that’s what draws me to midwifery – the moments that I’ll get to be a part of.

After the singing and dancing was done, Harriet and I headed into Freetown with one of the patients. Her fistula surgery had failed inexplicably, and so she had gone in for HIV testing. She is positive. So we were just taking her in for a follow up exam and to renew her ARV prescription. Freetown is a sight to behold, and I’ll probably have to save a full description for a later date, because it is late, and morning isn’t coming any later. J

We went to Connaught Hospital, a government-run center which was rebuilt after the war by the World Bank, as Harriet informed me. The grounds were beautiful, even if getting through the gate was a bit of a challenge. I only got a peek into one of the wards: a huge, long empty room almost like a two-story warehouse made out of concrete in which all the beds are separated by curtains. The nurses stay at the end and essentially are there to dispense medication, monitor vitals, and contact the doctor in an emergency. As a patient, you must bring your sheets, food, kerosene if you’re going to have surgery (to fuel the generator), and a caregiver – usually a family member who will help you with your daily care.

All in all, it was a really interesting experience. More about it later, yeah?

Okay…so I’m running out of time, so I’ll just give the basics and hopefully fill in over the weekend or something when I’ve a bit more time.

After we got back from Freetown, I hung about the ward a bit while I waited for the doctors to finish the day’s second surgery. Then I scrubbed in for the third and last of the day, which was really fascinating. I hadn’t done so well with surgery during clinical, so I was a bit nervous, but everything went off without a hitch. I was so interested that I didn’t have a second to think about possibly being a bit woozy. I think I had a better face mask on, as well, which helped me from getting overheated and dizzy.

The surgery went really well, and I spent the rest of the afternoon with the doctors in the screening room, having a look at potential patients and following up with current ones. Then the (work) day was over, and I joined up with the doctor’s again to walk home along the beach. The breeze was absolutely gorgeous and the sound of waves was an absolutely perfect ending to the day. On the way, we passed a football (soccer) match which was a bit unique. All of the players only had one leg. Victims of the war, they had all banded together to form a football team, and they were actually in training to go the amputee world football cup in Turkey next month or so. They were all so great – some of the friendliest people I have met here so far, although most are really friendly in general. One of them told me that they play every Saturday in the same place from 8-10 am. Perhaps I’ll be able to go over and watch them a bit more. I’m sure I need to learn a thing or two before I try to do this intramural soccer thing in the fall! J

Then back to the house, a quick rinse-off in the shower, dinner, and then out again for Bible study. I went with Sandra and Bas to an inter-NGO Bible study that’s held here every other week. It was really great to meet all different sorts of people, mostly from the US, although a few from the UK, the Netherlands, and one from South Korea. All involved in different sorts of work. It was really neat. But, alas, there will have to be more about that later. My walk and Bible study took all the time that I usually take to write away, although I gladly gave it over to do something a bit different!

Tomorrow, I think that I’ll be spending a good bit of the day in the pediatric outpatient clinic with Sandra and Annekoos. More stories tomorrow, to be sure!

No comments: